Essay writing is a crucial part of education. Writing an essay may become a challenging task for even a literate writer paper. Not only does it take a lot of effort and inspiration to get started, but it is also very important to keep an eye on grammar, spelling and punctuation.
So, check out the most frequent mistakes writer paper make over and over again in order to avoid them in your own essay:
- Spelling mistakes occur very often in students’ essay. Students use incorrect homophones (the words that sound the same but have different meanings).
- Subject-verb agreement. Keep in mind one simple rule: you have to a singular verb with the singular subject and a plural verb with the plural subject.
- Absence of a comma after introductory phrases.
- Wordiness. Do not use too many words. It makes your writing unclear and hard to understand.
- Incorrect usage of commas with a compound subject.
- Absence of commas around interrupters.
- Pronoun confusion.
- Never use double negatives.
- Titles and names in an essay. Do not forget that titles of book chapters or articles go in quotation marks while titles of books and journals go in italics.
- Common grammar mistakes. For example, plurals and possessives.
- Noun-verb confusion.
- Abbreviations. Never use full stops in abbreviations: NATO not N.A.T.O.
- Contractions. Remember that academic writing must not contain any contractions such as can’t, don’t, won’t.
- Using too much information which clouds the main thesis.
- Inability to follow instructor’s specifications. Make sure you fully understand the topic. The better you understand it, the easier it will be for you to provide a well-written essay.
- Lack of examples. Do not forget to illustrate your points or arguments.
- Dubious structure. All information, arguments and facts should be presented logically in order to help your readers understand it better.
- Using too long or too short sentences. If your sentences are too long and complicated than it is rather hard to understand your essay. On the other hand, too short sentences may not reveal your idea to the full extent. Try to find a good balance of them.
- Not citing. Do not forget to give credit to the author every time you use information from an outside source.
- Semi-colons. Incorrect using of semi-colons is the most common error. Semi-colons are used to connect two ideas or replace a conjunction or a full stop.
Overall, these points represent some of the most common mistakes students tend to make while writing an essay. Obviously, it is going to take some time and practice to avoid making these mistakes in the future. However, if you keep this list in mind, writing an essay will become a piece of cake.